Thursday, October 30, 2008

I know I'm not stupid, but I need some help figuring this out...

So Exxon Mobile made a record 14.5 billion dollar profit in the 3rd quarter. So if that's pre-tax profit, they pay .43 cents on every dollar they make in taxes which is verifiably insane. That's a little over 6 billion dollars in total taxes they paid on that record profit, more if they paid taxes first then reported their after-tax profit. Joe Biden came out today and said he wanted to cut the 4 billion dollars in tax relief that these companies get. Somebody needs to explain the logic in this to me, because I still don't get it. If you cut out 4 billion in tax relief, then you reduce the amount you can tax at .43 cents on the dollar. Let's say it hit this quarter (I can only guess Biden means an extra 1 billion per quarter). You would lower their profits to 13.5 billion, and only take in 5.8 billion in taxes on their profit. So, your net gain is only about 500 million. Therefore you've just taken 1 billion away from the economy via its investors so that you could put 500 million back into the economy using taxes. How does this make sense?

No comments: